The Lunar New Year is just around the corner, which means it’s time to break out the sticky rice cakes, round foods (oranges, lychees, eggs, etc.), and wait for ang baos from generous aunties and uncles. But if you don’t want to go out of your way to attract good luck, you could do something as simple as wearing red panties on Chinese New Year.
Why you should wear red panties on Chinese New Year
Maxie Tiu, a shopkeeper in Manila’s Chinatown, says wearing red underpants on Chinese New Year is a good way to attract good luck.
“If you wear red panty, ‘yung harmony magiging maganda ang aura natin. Iyung mga bad energy hindi lumalapit sa atin and the good will come in kasi tutulungan tayo kasi naka-red panty, ” she told ABS-CBN News.
(“If you wear red panties, your aura will be harmonious. Bad energy will stay away and good will come and help us because of our red panties.”)
But according to superstitions, not any old pair of red underpants will do the trick. The underwear should be received as a gift, not something you bought yourself. Also, the red panties should be brand new when you wear them on New Year’s Eve, or its lucky charm magic won’t kick in.
What else should you do on Chinese New Year?
There are hundreds of superstitions revolving around the Lunar New Year and how to attract good luck. Here are some basic rules you should know, according to theAsianparent Singapore.
- Don’t wear black and white.
- Don’t do any cleaning until Day 5 — your Marie Kondo-ing can wait.
- Don’t wash/cut your hair on the first two days of the New Year.
- Leave all the doors and windows open on the first day.
- Stay indoors on Day 3 — because it’s bad luck.
- Don’t wash your clothes on the first two days.
- Keep 9 oranges in the kitchen.
- Eat auspicious foods (like apples, lychees, sticky rice cake, etc.)
- Don’t cry.
- Don’t eat porridge.
- Decorate your home with “mystic knots”.
Too much? Or you could simply put on them brand new red panties on Chinese New Year and call it a day.